Friday, September 13, 2013

Differently sane

    In a moment of differently sane thinking, I went out and got an air mattress and a hand pump. I finally decided not to bother to get rid of the much too firm memory foam mattress (I guess I could have put in hyphens to make the foregoing word salad clearer, but I kind of liked how "firm memory" read) and am using it instead as the equivalent of a box spring. I got out the yardstick, thinking that I'd feel much too high off the ground on two mattresses and found that the memory foam and bed frame only took me two feet off the ground. So at the moment, I feel like I'm in a Colonial-era bed and breakfast when I'm up on top of both mattresses, but really it's not that high.
    The memory foam mattress isn't really uncomfortable, but that's only if I stay on my back all the time. Sometimes you want to lie on your side. When I do that, large areas of my body go to sleep-- oh, wait. I mean I'm plagued with pins and needles sensations over large areas. Also, my left leg has had a chronic numbness that I take to be sciatica which almost exclusively happens when I'm in bed.
    So yeah, it's crazy to have an inflatable bed when you live with a cat. Still, I have two foam mattress pads on top of it and the memory foam mattress underneath, so there are comparatively few places she can attack with claws. And if she kills it, I can get another for $40 and a good workout for my arms and shoulders pumping it up. Or I can just go back to the memory foam. So not all that crazy; we'll just see if my pins and needles and possible sciatica go away. It might turn out to be a pretty bright move.

No comments:

Post a Comment