Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Blogging is hard

    Not, obviously, the way I do it, but blogging well is very, very hard. Even to the extent that I make an effort to maintain some kind of continuity from post to post (which is fairly limited because I get tired of typing "as I've mentioned before") it's probably futile, because I have no idea who is reading this or how often. Really, each blog entry should be its own self-contained essay, and if stuff gets repeated from blog entry to blog entry (as it's going to be, this being my very unadventurous life we're talking about), that's just going to be tough.
    There IS a job called journalism, and one assumes that the "journal" in there isn't included just to prove that somebody knows French. As such, I'm wondering if applying the rules of journalism to bloggery might not be wise. The prime rule (besides "Don't be surprised if you get bought out by the Koch brothers) is always to start with who, what, when, where and... how, I think. Pretty sure that "why" doesn't make the cut, but I'd be ever so happy to be corrected. It certainly doesn't make it in any journalism I've seen lately. Though I always thought it was called the 5 Ws. Regardless, it might help if I try to make my journal a little more journalistic. One of those rules of life is that those ideas pouring out of your head are probably not going to seem as clear to anyone else. Then again, I get a big kick out of stream of consciousness. So it's something to think about-- along with whether "which" makes the cut as a W.

No comments:

Post a Comment