Thursday, September 5, 2013

Interest checking

    A zillion years ago, my bank, which is not one of the ones taken over by a bank from North Carolina (it was taken over by a bank from Georgia instead), automatically changed my account from interest-bearing to non-interest-bearing when I went under the minimum balance. This made me very happy at the time. However, later when I went back above the minimum balance and stayed above it for years, it never occurred to me (since I am dumber than a brick) that it wouldn't revert automatically to bearing interest again. I was surprised, when I finally got around to looking at my statements, that there was no interest accruing. You can tell I'm really an economist, can't you?
    It chafed my hide very, very slightly. After paying my bills last month, I was down to my very last check, and I gave serious thought to using it to clear out my balance and move my money to the credit union where Dad has his accounts. But I went by my bank first. I asked if there was any problem to going back to interest checking. My personal banker (really, that's what's on her card) had to be walked through the process by somebody over the phone (possibly her personal banker), but the upshot was yes. Minimum balance is markedly higher these days, though, but I think I can make it. Then I asked about checks, and they turn out to be free with snooty interest-bearing checking. I had no idea I was so smart. So my hide is ever so slightly less chafed. And if I have any trouble maintaining the minimum balance, I can always use one of my free checks to zero out the balance then. Take that, Georgia!

No comments:

Post a Comment