Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Almost totally unlike oatmeal cookies

    I wrote this yesterday (all but this paragraph), when I was more taken with these cookies than I ultimately turned out to be. The aftertaste as I mention is sometimes unpleasant; unfortunately, when it isn't, the during-taste is unpleasant instead. So I don't know if I would recommend these, but my kitchen is overrun with ants at the moment and I'm not in the mood to write something better. If anyone develops a burning curiosity to the point that they want the actual recipe written out, just holler and I'll do so in a trice.
    Got an urge for oatmeal cookies, but I found when I tried gluten-free oats that for some reason they give me hot flashes. I have no idea why this should be the case but I found it unpleasant. Sure I'm the right age for that, but I'm pretty sure I'm the wrong gender! Anyway, as I think I noted the other day, rooting around the Internet I found suggestions that quinoa flakes make a good substitute for oatmeal and that buckwheat flour makes a good substitute for wheat flour. So then it was just a matter of finding a recipe with no butter in it and honey instead of sugar. I settled on this one: http://www.food.com/recipe/oatmeal-cookies-318937 But I made some changes beyond converting from Celsius to Fahrenheit.
    I substituted quinoa flakes for oatmeal as I said, but I took out half a cup and replaced it with that quantity of coconut. As I say I also substituted buckwheat flour for in this case spelt and almond milk for milk, but heeding suggestions in the comments section, I also added 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds, a snack-size box (1 oz) of raisins and a tsp each of Ceylon cinnamon and vanilla. The oil I used was also sunflower.
    The result is pretty neat. Probably too healthy by half, but what can you do? Without an egg, wheat or even oatmeal I had no conception how all this would stay together but somehow it did. The aftertaste is very slightly unpleasant, suggesting that quinoa flakes might be a little too strongly flavored for use in cookies. But I really think that just throwing in a teaspoon of cocoa would probably fix that right up. Hey, it might be a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment