Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Dammit Benny!

    At the moment and for the last 16 hours or so worth of moments, I've got a Benny Goodman number stuck in my head. Or a Lionel Hampton number originally played with Benny Goodman. Or some damned thing. I can't track it down. I can't remember the title. I can't find it on any of my records. I'm sure it's very famous, but nothing I see on Wikipedia rings any bells. I was hoping it was "Stompin' at the Savoy" realizing that the song I had thought was it was actually "Moonglow," but no. (That is, I was right about "Moonglow," but "Stompin' at the Savoy" isn't the one I'm thinking about either.)
    I even downloaded a song recognition app which claims to be able to name a song from humming. And maybe SoundHound can... if you're a better hummer. Then again, considering the songs it suggested, maybe you also have to be humming a number from this millennium.
    Anyway, if I have any hardcore Benny Goodman fans in my readership, call me now call me now call me now! I swear that I can hum it so you'll recognize it, and I need to know what it is!

The song in question turned out to be "Lester's Dream" by Benny Goodman, though I have it on a Charlie Christian record so it's called "Charlie's Dream" there. It's on YouTube; you should look it up. The personnel listing is particularly amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment