Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A mystery solved

    One of my favorite places to walk around here is unpaved and historic Old State Road in Cayce. Lately, there has been a lot of mysterious and fairly inexplicable construction going on. The other day, though, there were two pretty gigantic pedestrian bridges parked in the middle of the road (in four parts). I might be a little slow, but even I could figure out that this means some kind of park with hiking trail is happening, and I gotta know about that!
    One of my friends is map librarian at the University and also lives in Cayce, so I asked him. It turns out that the local power company is funding a 12,000 Year History Park featuring Native American pot sherds going back that far but also the earthworks for the Civil War Battle of Congaree Creek. It's supposed to be a national park quality facility. Also it will have 2 miles in hiking trails. Call me charged up!
    Actually, two mysteries were solved today. No, three! I got out an apple to eat at lunch and it rattled. I don't think that in all my long life I ever heard an apple rattle. Being familiar with the story of the Mexican jumping bean, I cut it in half. It just had seeds loose inside there. No idea why they had extra space, though. So I guess that mystery is just half-solved. The best mystery, though was at Publix. Signs on the front doors said that the Mystery Item, Publix 6-pack spring water, is one cent today. Solved that mystery and I don't even have a pencil-thin mustache!

No comments:

Post a Comment