Saturday, November 9, 2013

Excuses

    Last night, one of my favorite bands from the '80s, the Swimming Pool Qs came to town to play a bar gig. We're all a lot older, so although I've seen them a year or a couple ago, they don't go out on tour as often as they used to. Since I had to take Dad to dialysis today and since they were only going on stage at 9, I regarded these factors as more or less sufficient excuse not to go. Which is silly.
    Not having been born in the last 10 minutes, I have been tired before. I could have easily gone to the show and just drag-assed a bit today. I did make some effort to take a nap beforehand, but barely got to sleep at all. But what the hell. I need to stop using Dad as an excuse not to have any life. I no longer have the kind of anxiety disorder that keeps me hidden in the house all the time. It's more like the ghost of an anxiety disorder, a habit of mind. It's a habit I need to break. I owe it to the other old balding guys trying to dance in front of reunited bands from 30 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment