Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Runaround

    So along with the joys of finding out yesterday whether or not Dad needs a pacemaker (Yes, as I've mentioned), I also got a call from the dialysis center about Thanksgiving. Dad goes on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, so he was scheduled to go on T-Day. However, they had told him that he would need to come an hour and a half early. As this would make Thanksgiving dinner with Margaret's family possible, he was more than OK with it.
    However, yesterday they called and asked him if he could come in Wednesday and run from 4-8. Moreover, they called me instead of calling him, which wasn't terribly useful. I asked and he said he'd prefer to stick with plan A, so I called back to say so. After sitting (strictly speaking, driving-- shhhh) on hold for five minutes, I relayed this message. Then I was told that plan A is no longer possible and if he wanted to come on Thursday he'd have to come an hour earlier still. I just handed him the phone, since nobody had mentioned this before. (Would have been useful information, wouldn't it?) He wasn't happy, but decided he could live with it and we went on to go see the cardiologist.
    Today they wanted him (for Thursday I mean) another hour earlier still, and he dug in his heels. Then they suggested he come in Friday at 10 (an hour and a half early or rather 22 1/2 hours late) and he decided he could live with this. I'm all in favor of the staff having time off for Thanksgiving, but I think they needed to plan this out better in advance. And Dad winds up skipping a day's dialysis and then coming in two days in a row, which is fairly pointless. But hey, that would have been the case if he'd gone for the Wednesday afternoon proposal, so six of one, half dozen the other I suppose. No harm done, I hope, and at least Thanksgiving Day is clear. Glad we got it resolved at least.
    Dreams were gentle and filled with friendly people. Apparently my brain knows that I need a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment