Friday, November 15, 2013

Customer service tutorial

    T-Mobile did something really smart. They texted me a questionnaire about how I felt about their service. 7 texts: one to explain, five questions, one to thank me. All the questions were set up to be answered by rating them from 1 to 5. I gave them abysmal ratings for how likely I was to recommend them, for their coverage and for my likelihood of staying with them, a middling one for the price, and a comparatively good one for how much I like the phone. Quick and painless; I didn't mind at all.
    Then they did something really dumb. They called to follow up. At dinner time. And the woman would not accept a brushoff. "I didn't know it was dinner time because it's 4 o'clock where I am..." "Well if you want to call back, the phone rings direct into our office..." I could not convey that I didn't want to talk to her at all ever, that I highly approved of the texting approach, and that if they wanted to offer me a free month or a deep discount to make me happy, maybe that would have been a good thing to lead with. Thus far I haven't received a text nor any further phone calls. Generally speaking, when you have an aggrieved customer, making him more aggrieved is probably not a brilliant customer service strategy. Their problem is that their coverage area for Columbia is much too small and their signal much too weak; there isn't a lot that a nice lady on the phone can do to fix that. Calling at supper time is not one of those things, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment