Thursday, November 7, 2013

Facebookville

    I dreamed last night that I bought food from a place that was kind of a takeout restaurant version of Trader Joe's. Having already heated up the food, I read the ingredients and found that one just read "cornbread." In waking life, there would be another set of ingredients in parentheses, but in the dream that was all it said. In both dream and waking life, I've learned that cornbread usually includes wheat flour and is thus something I can't eat. So I went to Mary's house and tried to palm it off on her. She wasn't interested, so we went over to Robert's house to see if he wanted it.
    Now in real life, Mary lives in Philadelphia and Robert lives in Vermont. And in the dream, I think I knew this; it was just that Philadelphia was maybe five miles away and Vermont maybe 10. Of course, I had dreams like this before Facebook, like the one where I got on a tram in Columbia, passed through Philadelphia and wound up in London. (I've still GOT to find that tram!) But I still feel like the sense of virtual proximity is partly due to the feeling of mental proximity engendered by Facebook interactions. And that's a good thing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment