Monday, November 4, 2013

Housebreaking

    I had to help somebody break into a house last night. Fortunately I had permission. The somebody in question had locked himself out and couldn't reach a locksmith on a Sunday evening. Two things were funny. One was that I just happened to be wearing a knit cap, a black sweater, and rubber soled shoes. The other was that the locked out person had already tried my method of access, knocking out a window with uhhhhh, I guess you'd call it a flagstone, and couldn't do it.
    Now he's just as strong as me, and probably stronger at the moment since I've been a bit fluey lately. I think it's psychological. You just don't want to hurt the home place; you don't want to break a window. So he tried, maybe half-heartedly, and said to himself that this window's unbreakable. Since he had told me that, too, I was freed from all restraints (I mean, the window is UNBREAKABLE) so I put the flagstone right through it. It was very dramatic, and fairly funny. Getting the window replaced no doubt will be less so, but much easier on a Monday (or whenever he gets around to it) morning than on a Sunday evening.
    What isn't funny is that my phone refused to work in a crisis. Three people called me a total of at least four times to let me know about the situation. The phone froze on the first call, never ringing or vibrating. (Well, more on that later.) It was plugged into the wall, so it definitely wasn't a battery situation. In fact, I had to pull the battery, put it in again and restart and then I got another call, this one I could answer. I later found that somehow the phone had been set to vibrate; I'm pretty sure I didn't do so intentionally, though I get so few calls I might have done so at a show or a movie and then forgotten about it. It's possible that the first person who called did so as part of a three-way call (as she is wont to do) and it was just too much for my phone's little brain. But it certainly shouldn't be. So, I'm considering ditching T-Mobile and the fairly well-liked Windows Phone. At least I got all the messages. Since I check the phone frequently, I wouldn't be too late responding to a crisis. But still.

No comments:

Post a Comment