Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Sunday go-to-meeting knife

    Boy, that sounds violent, doesn't it? Nothing like that, I promise. I think I mentioned that I recently shed my Dollar Tree cutlery buying ways and moved up market... all the way to Kmart. Well I don't need a knife for haute cuisine; just something sturdy enough to cut vegetables. Amazingly, the Dollar Tree ones aren't. (OK, maybe it isn't amazing.) The $5 Kmart knife is better, quite good enough. But the funny thing is that I've had a better knife for years that I barely ever used.
    I got it at Aldi at an end of the year sale. It was marked down from $30 to $20 or so. As I recall, it was made in Germany from Japanese steel. (In the '60s, we would have gotten a big laugh out of that.) I can't figure out why I never used it. I don't think I was treating it as my Sunday go-to-meeting knife, too good for everyday use. I think I thought it was too heavy to be waving it around all the time. But it turns out to be no heavier than the Kmart knife. Anyway, I'm trying to turn over a new leaf. If for some reason I thought that it's somehow inappropriate to use a $20 knife to cut up cucumbers, well I think I'm over it. I think. If not, I have the $5 one and the $7 one to fall back on. Figuratively speaking of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment