Friday, November 29, 2013

Very high, ultra high

    Some time ago, my sister gave me a TV and antenna, not HD but digital I think. (As both a technopeasant and a Luddite, I'm not so great on such terms.) I think I mentioned closer to the time of receiving these gifts that I was having a bit of trouble with tuning. I'm embarrassed to say how easy it was to solve these problems, and how long it took for me to figure out the solution. Where I live, there's one VHF station (Very High Frequency) and I guess six UHF (Ultra High Frequency) stations. (What did you think I was talking about?)
    I don't know if VHF stations are inherently more powerful or if it just turned out that way here. (I do remember that there was an Al Yankovic movie called "UHF" about a terrible station, at least implying that that's where the weaker stations are.) Regardless, channel 10 is really powerful and all the other stations are pretty weak. And so the solution was... turn off the antenna for channel 10. That's all. No moving the rabbit ears back and forth endlessly like I had been trying to do for years. Just turn the gain all the way off and voila! TV magic! Turn it back on for any other station. I tell you, except for being an idiot, I'm a genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment