Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Kind of a warm day...

    No no no, I don't propose to do another weather report. Note the ellipses. It was kind of a warm day to leave frozen food in the trunk for, uh, I think 5 hours. We've been having adventures. Not exciting adventures, but at our combined age of 140-odd, we don't really need any of those.
    Dad had an appointment with the gastroenterologist today at 3:30, and I needed gas. I also needed a few items from Aldi and wanted to take my daily walk. So I went to Aldi, getting the produce I needed and some frozen fruit I'll need soon, got gas and took my walk. When I got home I only had minutes before I had to go get Dad and I needed to go to the bathroom. So I completely forgot to unload my groceries. Oh well.
    The appointment was a trial, a grueling test of our patience such as it is, a reminder of the B. Kliban cartoon about the boredom of St. Cecil by the Turks. You'll probably have to cut and paste the link: http://www.gocomics.com/kliban/2013/06/14#.Unrb3-KQORM We were prepared for a pointless one-hour wait; we were not ready for 2 1/2 hours. In a chilly room. I complained and at least was granted the right to open the door. Thus I overheard it when one of the staffers said something like, "We should have told them in advance it was going to be a two-hour wait." I said, "No kidding!" and went out and said my piece. I received profuse apologies and, after asking permission first, kicked the wastebasket. I felt much better.
    Eventually, the doctor came to talk to Dad. He tried to explain to Dad that the laxative he's using (Senecot) would eventually quit working and when it did, so would Dad's bowels. A colostomy would then be unavoidable. He couldn't persuade Dad, but did suggest and prescribe a different laxative, of which Dad approved. So hopefully Dad will get off Senecot and the other one will work as well or better. He also prescribed Dad another course of antibiotics, and gave us an appointment in February. We are not unhappy not to have to come back before that.
    On the drive home, I got a call from a frantic Margaret wondering where Dad was. I told her it was just a colossal wait and that we were on our way. I got home to an equally frantic kitty who has just about calmed down. I ate supper and finally remembered that I had frozen foods in my trunk. Or rather that I had had frozen foods in my trunk. Oh well; there are worse fates than eating refrozen peaches and strawberries. On the whole, not at all a bad ending to a trying afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment