Friday, December 26, 2014

Crazy stupid fun

    Friend Robert and wife and son are visiting his mom in Spartanburg. I've been wanting to drop by IKEA in Charlotte to see if they have anything that would solve my minor furniture problems. (Suspense relief: they do.) And of course to eat Ethiopian, since now this town has TWO (2) Ethiopian restaurants that aren't gluten-free. The idea!
    They were amenable, Mom, too, so we went today. Unfortunately, traveling with a five-year-old is seldom trouble-free, so basically all they saw of IKEA was the cafe. But I got a good look, and we ate Ethiopian, and young Orion then got to go to Discovery Place, which he strongly desired doing. So everybody was happyish, and I was happy to see old friends. Orion is at that difficult age between 2 and 16 where he says whatever the hell occurs to him, so he told me that my teeth stick out. Fortunately, I'm one of the rare people that you can say something like that to (since I was boundlessly amused). I think what he actually meant to say was that I was smiling a lot, since I was, being delighted.
    Family travel was a little messy this time, as Anne only got to town late yesterday and Malcolm is leaving tomorrow. But we were able to get together for suppertime at a new and untried Lizard's Thicket. As they had sweet potato souffle, sweet potato fries and sweet potato pie, this was a hit, although we didn't try the pie. Malcolm pointed out that Adam Ant was a play on "adamant," which I never realized, thinking it was derived from the cartoon character Atom Ant. Of course that was probably also a pun on "adamant," but I was really small then and probably didn't know that word yet. Although by tomorrow I'll have myself convinced that I knew it all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment