Friday, December 5, 2014

They're giving my dad rat poison!

    Well they are! Coumadin sounds a lot friendlier than Warfarin, though, and is of course a standard blood thinner. I doubt the dosages they're giving him would even kill a rat; I like to think not anyway.
    Let me back up. Yesterday during our visit, the ultrasound tech appeared and did the ultrasound on Dad's left arm. today, Dad's nurse called to say that the ultrasound confirmed that he had a clot in his arm and that they were going to give him Coumadin. I expressed my worries about blood thinners and dialysis; in the past when he was given them, he had grave difficulties stopping bleeding at the end of the session. In the past, he was a lot more on the ball than he is now. He wouldn't even notice himself bleeding these days. They are only starting this evening after dialysis. Hopefully, the treatment won't last long.
    Also yesterday, I figured out that staff wasn't ignoring Dad, that his call button wasn't working. They replaced it immediately and response to his calls was very, very prompt thereafter. Glad that I noticed.
    Today, I got my first bill for his care at Lowman. It was vast, significantly higher than I was expecting. Well, he's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment