Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Solving problems

    Let's see if I can get all this in order. When I moved here, I didn't bring my almost very good stereo setup from my Dad's house because of the almost part. The tuner had been hit by lightning at some point and the sound would drop out frustratingly. Rather than hunt down a new tuner, I just bought a cheap radio/CD player at Big Lots. And it worked ok, but developed an annoying short in the volume knob, such that there was a lot more snap crackle and pop than I needed. I also had a portable CD player that would play CD-Rs, even data ones. It worked great except that I bought it without a power supply and the one I got from Radio Shack doesn't really fit. So Amelia the cat knocked it out of commission regularly and getting it plugged up again took many tries.
    So my brother got me a keen mini-stereo system that would play CD-Rs, including data ones, and also the iPods that he also gave me. (Quite a guy!) The deal with the data CDs is that I have a couple of dozen of them with old-time radio shows on them. As I mention now and again, I listen to them regularly. Now life was satisfactory for years, until some yahoo broke the antenna off my car. Then I felt the need for something that would play cassette tapes so that one day I might replace the stereo and antenna in my car. (One assumes they don't make them with cassette players anymore.) So I bought another mini-stereo system. This one has a 3 CD changer and plays CD-Rs, but not data ones.
    And THEN... (I sound like a four-year-old telling a story.) We had a cold snap and none of the CD players would work. (The one in the car won't work if it's chilly at all, one reason why I'd like to replace it.) So I went out to find furniture to put the mini-stereos on to get them off the cold floor. And I have succeeded. AND I got Dad a radio to listen to football games on, but the season's over, and it plays AM stations better than any of my other radios, including especially the first one with the short in the volume knob that started this story. SO I can listen to Columbia's Spanish station Ocho Cuarenta 840 AM again. Whew! That's a long way to go for little point! Point is, I've got better noise choices than before and am pleased.
    Last night's dreams were again bizarre, but all I can remember is my Dad inexplicably buying a mansion in Charleston, then I was driving around town because he was in his current real-life condition looking for a better facility for him to stay in. The town in question looked a great deal more like New York than Columbia or Charleston. Then I was in a museum but it had a canyon through it. Struck me as normal at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment