Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The coaster rolls on

    So last night, Dad called Margaret and again said that he just couldn't stand dialysis and wanted to stop it and go to hospice. I called him and asked him just not to do anything drastic until I can try to make it better. He agreed to that. So this morning I called the dialysis facility and told them this. The office manager was trying to get me to call a hospice for advice on rousing his fighting spirit and I pointed out that what I needed was ways to improve his experience such that he wouldn't be in agony. She let me talk to the nurse.
    The nurse was amenable to letting him sit on a pillow, and further suggested that he be given a painkiller before leaving Lowman for dialysis. I pointed out that I couldn't order Lowman to do either and that my chief concern was to get these procedures in place by Friday so that he would be willing to continue dialysis at all. She volunteered to call and talk to the nursing supervisor on his unit.
    Anne then talked to the doctor at Lowman, who also agreed that Dad should be on a painkiller even when not going to dialysis. We are also continuing to try to get him a mattress that will fit him.
    So I went and talked to him and he agreed to try dialysis at least one more time. And I talked to the head nurse about whether they could do without the diapers (which seem to be worsening his pressure sores); she agreed to try leaving them off at night. So after an extremely pleasant day yesterday, we had an extremely stressful evening, night and morning, but things seem to be under control again. Maybe. (Note: when you're tired, all sentences begin with "So.")

No comments:

Post a Comment