Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Innovation!

    Hey, it only took 100 years or so! Every city I've ever visited and driven in (which limits us to North America) has a very active Department of Digging Holes and Filling Them In Again working the city streets. And often as not, there's a fairly significant gap between the digging and the filling in again. So gigantic metal plates are placed over the holes. These are sometimes hard to see and can make for an unpleasant, jarring surprise.
    Today I went over one and at the edges were orange rubber (or plastic) wedges. I don't know if it really made the passage all that much gentler (I had already slowed down both for the metal plate and for railroad tracks just ahead), but I was really pleased that somebody at least was making an effort to save our precious CV joints. I hope this thoughtfulness spreads, and salute the DODHAFTIA for their forward thinking. Now of course, somebody will tell me that all the other cities have been doing this for 20 years.
    I know I have made an effort over the years to have the minutest minutiae on my blog and that I may have just set a new standard. But wait! There's more! Last night when I opened the door to let Harry in, I heard "(jingle jingle) murf! (jingle jingle) murf!" from quite nearby, but Harry didn't appear. Then he came down the tree next to my front door, like Dan Aykroyd on the fireman's pole in "Ghostbusters." Very comical. I guess he had been gallivanting on the roof, as there aren't any leaves on the tree for birds or squirrels to hide in. Just another skill for young Harry.

No comments:

Post a Comment