Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A stinkburger

    There's a store in this town called 2d and Charles. Presumably it's a chain, as there's neither a 2d nor a Charles anywhere in this city. Regardless, it's mainly a used bookstore with a good offering of CDs, LPs, and games, also used. I was amused that after searching for years for "The Green Ripper" by John D. MacDonald and finding a copy in a thrift store a few weeks ago to find two here.
    But it was in the used PC game section where I had the most fun. Used PC games are hardly carried by anybody anymore, so I was well-pleased to find any at all. My favorite genre is the point-and-click adventure, the first choice for all of us lacking eye-hand coordination. I found a compilation of 7 games, including at least two by the master, Benoit Sokal. I did forget what it is that made him the master, though; his games are very frustrating. At the moment, I'm mired in Paradise. My resolve to avoid resorting to walkthroughs is getting weaker every minute.
    But the other game is the stinkburger. The first problem is that it doesn't play well on a laptop, due to the lack of a mouse, and I don't feel like buying a USB mouse just to play a $5 used game. But to the extent it does play, there are failures in logic that are just insane. I take a photograph, then I swab the photograph, then I put the swabbing product in a centrifuge. Now why couldn't I just swab the original item (a footprint)? That would make sense! Swabbing a photograph? That's just crazy. A fun kind of crazy, though, I have to admit. If I can get the game to play using a mousepad, maybe I'll carry on. I mean, I gotta find out what I swabbed off of that photograph!

No comments:

Post a Comment