Friday, March 21, 2014

Kiss of death

    There's a radio station in this town called Rock 93.5. Anyway, there was. I never listened to it because there are enough oldies stations here that I can usually find a song I like better than what they play. But I had no kicks against them.
    As I've mentioned a few hundred times, my radio antenna is broken. So I can't pick up weak signals anymore. Or even strong ones, often as not. So I had to rearrange my radio presets. One oldies station bit the dust to be replaced by Rock 93.5. And I was enjoying it. I still prefer the oldies, but they were good about not playing stuff with autotune (my only real objection to new music) so it was fine.
    Today, they went away. The station only broadcasts an endless loop promo for another station (one of the oldies stations I listen to more regularly, ironically enough), which apparently is going to be more rocky. Thus presumably less oldie. Ah well. It reminds me of when I moved back to Columbia and crazy-mad loved an AM station called 1230 Rock. For about one summer, then it went away. Apparently, having me for a listener is the kiss of death for Columbia rock radio.
    I should probably note that 1230 Rock had a very short run, but 93.5 had been around for ages. No idea why it suddenly got unprofitable, but then, 102.3 (the classic rock station now promoted on 93.5) has a stronger signal, so maybe this is actually a promotion for the rock format and maybe 93.5 becomes oldies, a demotion for that format. (They call it CLASSIC rock; I call it oldies. I didn't much care for classic Coke, either.) Now to go out and see if aluminum foil and duct tape will do a better job of reviving my car antenna than just duct tape! Betting is against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment