Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Thrift store clothes

    One thing that bewilders me is why there's so much big & tall clothing for men in thrift stores. Apparently it's a big secret that's being kept from big and tall men, since I never see any of them shopping in thrifts. I understand that most people are average-sized and that thus clothes for average-sized folks tend to move through quickly while the stuff for non-average-sized people stays and accumulates. But it's still frustrating.
    I'm not actually shopping in thrift stores out of cheapness, but from laziness at one remove. Granted, shopping in thrift stores wastes a lot of time before you find anything decent. But I like only natural fibers, especially all cotton, and I've found by bitter experience that buying new cotton clothes from department stores leaves you poorer and one wash later, very rumpled looking unless you like ironing, and I don't. Nor do I have an iron or ironing board, nor any skills with an iron.
    The big plus to thrifts is you find out if the cotton items are resistant to wrinkles or not. Of course, often it turns out that the items that look wrinkle-free had been professionally cleaned and starched, and a wash or two later you're just as rumpled as with the department store clothes. But you're not poorer by as much. (THAT was the unphraseable sentence.)
    Frankly, I always dug looking through thrift stores, trying to find cool stuff and still do except that I just don't have time to do it properly. Where's that Instant Sizer/ Instant Fabric Identifier app that I need? Now that would be useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment