Sunday, March 16, 2014

Revised thrift store strategy

    One thing I notice with thrift store purchases is that some labels are consistently good. Some of those are also from mail order outfits. So one shrewd idea would be to identify which of these are best and then order new stuff from those companies via the Internet.
    The big drawback to this strategy is that some thrift store stuff is older than others. This is to say that the companies might have changed suppliers since making the good stuff I found in thrift stores. This actually happened to me already. I once found brilliant Land's End chinos. When they wore out, I ordered new ones, but these were made in China, and poorly.
    I guess the shrewdest move is to start going to vintage clothes store and let them do all the hunting through thrift stores for me. Or maybe I should go into that business myself. That might be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment