Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Latest iteration

    I may have posted a very similar recipe already, but I had a request for this specific one. This is the continuing exploration of making cookies with cocoa butter and brown rice flour. To the requester: you get most of this stuff at Rosewood Market. The cocoa butter chunks are in Health and Beauty, as I said. The local honey is towards the back and right. Unsulphered, unsweetened organic shredded coconut is also packaged by Rosewood Market (like the cocoa butter) is also towards the back but in the middle of the store. Staff are incredibly nice and will point you the right way. I use Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour, which I got at some Publix or other. I get the walnuts, vanilla, raisins and cocoa from Aldi; also eggs when I use one. I think I got the Chia seed (when I use that instead) from Rosewood Market. I should note that all this stuff costs a million dollars.
Ingredients:
A package of cocoa butter chunks (these run about 1.5-2 oz by weight, which turns out to be about 1/2 cup liquid volume)
1/4 cup honey
1 egg OR 1T chia seeds + 1/4 cup purified water thrown in a blender. I've had more success throwing the seeds in first.
1t cocoa. This is just for me, as I'm incredibly caffeine sensitive. You'll be MUCH more happy with 1T.
1t vanilla
1/3 cup unsweetened unsulphered coconut
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 oz (lunch-type) box of raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts
Heroin, to taste

    First, melt your cocoa butter. Throw in a small sauce pan, cover, put on medium heat. Keep an eye out; it takes maybe five minutes to melt the stuff.
    As with any recipe, you want to start by mixing your liquid ingredients. Problem here is that honey isn't all that liquid and egg might get cooked by the now-hot cocoa butter. This is one reason I prefer chia seed paste. (The other is I like to soft bake and it's dangerous to undercook eggs; chia seeds shouldn't present this problem.)
    You might want to preheat your oven to 325 now.
    I use the melted cocoa butter to help get the dang honey out of the measuring cup. This also helps cool it down a bit so it won't cook the egg. Add egg (or chia paste), cocoa and vanilla. Stir until your arm falls off (hereinafter, SUYAFO).
    Add coconut, SUYAFO, brown rice flour, SUYAFO, raisins, SUYAFO, walnuts and finally, SUYAFO. I stress all this stirring because my cookies turn out mostly very nice but then some taste like shoe polish. So I think that more mixing is needed. The dough that you wind up with looks like all STUFF. All walnuts and coconuts and raisins and you'll wonder if there's going to be any cookie at all. There is. All that stuff vanishes. So feel free to add MORE stuff. It could probably take more raisins and walnuts and coconut. And as I say cocoa if you can handle the hard stuff.
    I spoon these out onto parchment paper on my available pans, which are a pizza pan and a regular baking pan. Obviously a cookie sheet would be ideal. I cook them 15 minutes. They'd be firmer and browner with more time and you'd be more confident that the egg is fully cooked, but I'm not sure they would be better. And nobody's died yet.
    It's a good idea to let them cool for 5 minutes, then flip them so they don't stick down. They're really wonderful fresh out of the oven, but you don't know what they're really like until they're fully cooled and the cocoa butter is solid again. So try to save a few so you find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment