Saturday, March 22, 2014

Detailed dialogue

    As I mention oftener than not, I usually play old time radio shows while I'm sleeping. It's frustrating, because the episodes have varying volume levels, being compiled (by someone other than me) from various sources. Thus, some are very quiet, and some are very loud. To keep from being awakened by one of the LOUD ones blasting me out of bed, I have to keep the volume level low enough that the quiet ones are sometimes completely inaudible.
    And this is frustrating, because sometimes I wake up in the night and want to listen to whatever episode is on. The purpose of having the radio shows is mostly to drown out a noisy neighborhood (not that the neighbors are rude, but the railroads are a bit) but sometimes I do want to listen.
    So last night I cranked the volume a bit. I wound up waking at 4, somewhat overheated, and then had disturbed dreams the rest of the night. The one that got me was when I had a hotel room all to myself, went to sleep, and then found a dozen people in there with me, like it was a bar or restaurant only with me sleeping there. And one guy went on and on and on about the time when his wife was about to have a baby but it wasn't their first baby but he was still nervous and so he started drinking a bit and on and on and why I mention it is that it seemed like an unlikely soliloquy to be coming from the old time radio show "Escape," so presumably somebody in the radio show was droning on and on and my brain just supplied its own words for reasons of its own. I will agree that a longish story about a boring thing is not inherently interesting, but I just found it very odd that my brain was inventing detailed dialogue to fit a radio show I couldn't quite hear. Or possibly a dozen people opened a bar in my apartment last night, one of them a little too talkative, and were gone by morning. I mean, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment