Sunday, March 2, 2014

Perfected a recipe, but I can't eat it

    So I had cut out caffeine entirely, or practically entirely, due to stomach cramps I got any time I ingested even tiny amounts. Lately, I found that the tiny amounts are OK, so I started putting cocoa by the teaspoonful in my cookie recipes. So indeed, that would be a tiny amount in each.
    These cookies evolved from the mini-muffins I've been making for years. The advantage of the mini-muffin is that the paper cup liner holds in the gooey stuff. The disadvantage is that you then have to scrape the gooey stuff off the paper with your teeth, which most people aren't willing to do in public, say. So I've been trying to make 'em into cookies instead, but the gooey stuff just stuck to the parchment paper instead. As I'm the guy who gets to eat it off the paper, I didn't find this to be the worst disaster, but still, losing the part where the flavor is is somewhat, uh, disadvantageous to the wonderfulness of a cookie.
    Now I had earlier had similar problems baking with cocoa butter and I found that brown rice flour helps markedly. This time I decided to add cocoa butter and to amp up the cocoa content as well. Brown rice flour did a good job of keeping the runniness down and led to actual cookies instead of gunk and goo. (Tasty gunk and goo, mind you, but still.) However, the resultant cookies, while mostly transcendent, are again giving me stomach cramps. Dammit.
    So I'm a bitter, bitter man, ironically because I can't have my bitter cocoa. I'll try again with the teaspoonful of cocoa and will probably increase the coconut content instead. If that version turns out, I'll share the actual recipe. But I'll still be bitter. (Dammit.):)

No comments:

Post a Comment