Wednesday, March 26, 2014

What THAT was all about

    What all that smart phone disagreeableness was about was that it really really really really REALLY wanted an update. It kept checking, too. It was like a little kid needing to pee: "Gotta go NOW!" Finally, I changed the settings such that it wouldn't check for updates anymore nor try to get one. I mean I wouldn't mind, but it kept checking and then saying that I had to connect to WiFi to download the update because of my settings, even though there isn't any place to change those settings to get the phone update via the cellular network.
    Not that I would have wanted to. Today, I finally went to Barnes and Noble and spent the morning feigning interest in the printed word while letting my phone use their free WiFi to update itself finally. This took, and I only exaggerate slightly, 113 years. So presumably it would have taken somewhat longer via the cell network.
    Best was when it was all downloaded, and then another 100 years of solitude went by while it was getting ready to install, then it was 100% ready to install. This was another little joke on the part of Microsoft or Nokia (yeah I know, same thing) because it was another geologic era before it was in fact ready to install. By then I had become fed up and in fact went home to feed, period; the OK Really Ready message came in the car. Then the actual installation took all of lunch, and now finally I'm good to go. So far Lumia Black doesn't seem any different than Lumia Amber (and no, I'm not making these up); I'm just relieved that the darned thing works, particularly my WiFi hotspot.
    So the blog lives on. I know how relieved both of my readers must be.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I had the exact same experience updating my operating system on my iMac today. Eerie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freaky deaky! Something else the tech firms were colluding about, I guess.

      Delete