Monday, March 24, 2014

Time for Timer!

    When I was a child, there were some very odd PSAs on Saturday morning TV featuring a character called Timer. Wikipedia explains a bit about the what and who and how, though since editors are apparently not too happy with the Time for Timer entry, maybe repeating information from it would be less than useful.
    Timer was a character aimed at teaching children about nutrition. I was a fairly big child by 1973 (we'll trust Wikipedia that far). I remember that my reaction was then, and would be now, primarily, "MY GOD, WHAT IS THAT THING???!!!" Because Timer was a yellow uh, thing, with a face I guess and arms and apparently a pocket watch, who sang and danced, mostly about cheese. I always thought he was from the Cheese Council. It's a surprise to find that this stuff was supposed to be educational, or about good nutrition. It's also maybe slightly odd that this was on ABC at the same time they were educating us about math, grammar, history and I don't know what all else because I hit puberty in Schoolhouse Rock. The 60s were good to ABC, I guess.
    I speak as somebody just moving the Drinking Liberally chapter I host to a vegan raw-food place. Maybe I'll get a hankerin' for a hunk o' cashew cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment