Friday, March 14, 2014

ALMOST brilliant

    My Casio is very nice, but on some of the best tones (which is what Casio calls the individual synthesized instruments, for example the Hammond B3, in Casioese the drawbar) the sound tends to break up, crackle or both when you (or I) play with both hands. This doesn't matter a lot, since the cat shows up for scritches every time I start playing (Casioing when the cat lets me), but still I would avoid it if I can. The built-in speakers are good-sized and mostly perform well, but I was wondering if external speakers might work better.
    The jack in back is for old-fashioned headphones; unfortunately I don't have any. I looked around at thrift stores to see if I could find any speakers (or headphones) with that kind of plug, but I could not. I did find some large computer speakers with the standard stereo earphone plug (just like the computer speakers I already have has).
    I went to Radio Shack and got an adapter for $6. I learned a lot in a hurry. My old beat up Walkman type headphones are way better than earbuds, and also better than the Casio's speakers (which the earbuds weren't. The computer speakers I have are OK as computer speakers but awful as Casio external speakers. Still, I figured better computer speakers are better (THERE'S a hunk of logic, as Charlie McCarthy would have said), so I got a pair for $12 from the Pets Inc. thrift store. I figured that even if they're awful, too, at least it's a good cause.
    They were awful, too. Not as awful as the ones I had already, but very bad, much worse than the built in speakers. However, they're better than the built-in speakers on my laptop. Unlike those, I can hear music on the laptop from more than 5 feet away. Granted, I have the left speaker on the right and vice versa, but I think I'll live. And I can listen to my Casioing on headphones now, which makes me a better neighbor. The cat doesn't care; she shows up for scritches just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment