Monday, March 17, 2014

Can't trust those knives!

    There's a new grocery store in this town. It's in the IGA chain, but inexplicably is called KJ's. (I always want to call it KT's, showing I guess my dinosaur extinction obsession.) I visited once; finding the gluten-free offerings either minimal or incredibly well-hidden, I decided that I probably wouldn't be returning often. However, they had a knife that I thought might be useful, so I returned to buy one.
    When I got it to the register, it fell out of its plastic and cardboard packaging, scaring the checker apparently. She went and found some tape and taped down one side. (This didn't help; then the knife just fell out of the other side.) Then she put it in an ice cream bag, then put that in two plastic bags. She was going to smother that damn knife!
    If she'd just waited before running off to find the tape, I would have told her that I wasn't worried about it and I was pretty sure that I could handle it. Paul's suggestion that I say I needed it loose because I was going to use it to stab somebody was much funnier although probably not the best idea in real life.
    And the knife? Well, it turned out to be almost what I wanted. Described as a 5 1/2 inch serrated cook's knife, it should have been exactly what I wanted. The size is right and it's actually sturdy enough, unlike most inexpensive knives. But I guess they put too much faith in the serration. It just isn't sharp enough. I don't mean for cutting up anything hard; I mean for cutting up an avocado and a cucumber. It did do reasonably well at peeling the cucumber, so there's that. But the search for the knife of my dreams continues.

3 comments:

  1. Cabela's is opening in Greenville SC on April 3rd. I guarantee you will find any knife you could possibly want there. Also whatever shotgun, pistol, fishing rod, compound bow, meat smoker...

    ReplyDelete