Saturday, March 1, 2014

Your pal John is not exactly quick on his feet

    Also his English isn't what it used to be; it took me ten tries to phrase that.
    Strictly speaking, you can't make somebody buy an extra item to get a discount. In other words, if something is buy one get one free, you have to sell one for half price. Operationally speaking, this only gets applied in supermarkets, presumably because there's a lot of competition and people complain a lot. There was one time when an auto parts store was selling brake fluid 2 for 1 but wouldn't sell me one for half price. I complained, moaned, received no satisfaction, and walked out.
    Today my smoke detector crapped out so I went to Family Dollar to get a 9V battery. Their house brand batteries were 2 for 1; I picked one. The checker charged me the full price. I realize that a) the inventory is all computerized; he couldn't have worked with me on the price if he wanted to and b) he didn't want to. (He just barely acknowledged my existence.) However, I realized after the fact that I should have wheeled, grabbed the second battery and said, "Oh, right, it's 2 for 1." I swear I used to be fairly smart once.

No comments:

Post a Comment