Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Answer: Pretty bad

    Well, yesterday's pecan pie recipe didn't quite work out. Oddly, it wasn't so much the substitutions I made but the conversion calculations I didn't make. The peanut flour didn't taste unpleasant nor do I believe that peanut butter is all that different from cashew. However, using dried dates rather than fresh pitted ones, though probably not a culinary sin in itself, meant that I should have found out how many cups of dried equal how many fresh. I couldn't find it on the Internet and thus winged it. For that reason or for another (like, it wasn't a very good recipe), I made a pie that is pleasant enough unless say you're expecting an actual pecan pie. Still, I would do it again except that I already gave away the maple syrup. (What can I say? I don't use maple syrup at all ever. I don't dislike it; I just never use any.)
    So bummer drag. I wish it had been great so that I would have a go-to pecan pie recipe. The PS on maple syrup, though, is that I can't think of anything maple-y about traditional pecan pie either. So maybe I'll do it again with more honey. Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment