Friday, November 27, 2015

Living Years

    I should probably first apologize for the earworm. Sorry! Second, if I posted this already, double sorry. I remember mentioning it on Facebook, but I don't think I have here, but my memory is affected by cold virus. All apologies where appropriate.
    The other week/month (time slips away), I heard "The Living Years" by Mike + the Mechanics for the first time this year. I hadn't been dreading it exactly, but back when Dad was alive and I would hear it, I would wonder how I would react. It was roughly what I would have expected. I cried a bit, but not out of regret for anything unsaid. Just because I miss him and wish he were back. So that's OK.
    Since then, in the way of radio since the '80s, it's been on heavy rotation a bit, so I've heard it another two times. Both times there was no tears or sadness, just a kind of rueful smile. That and a tendency to want to lampoon the lyrics. These ARE the same guys who did a song called "Silent Running" with the refrain, "Can you hear me? Can you hear me running?" And you want to say, "DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW WHAT 'SILENT' MEANS?!" Anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment