Saturday, November 7, 2015

Forgive another writing exercise

    Yesterday on Facebook, I said that one good thing about all this rain is that it's been good for the tea olives, and that's true. It seems like the tea olives (a tree with tiny sweet-smelling flowers, flowers so tiny it used to make me crazy trying to find where that smell was coming from) in the neighborhood have never been blooming (thus fragrant) this often. Bu-ut the rain seems to be helping in another dimension, and I don't quite know how to word it.
    The humidity seems to make the smell spread farther. Does humid air carry scents better? Does bad weather make you seek out nice smells harder to make up for grey skies? Does more rain make the flowers bloom harder? Does humidity carry pollen better? I don't know! But what I'm trying to say, I think, is that frequent rains make tea olive (and presumably all flowering plants) bloom more frequently and high humidity seems to make their scent more powerful. Might be my imagination, but I love it regardless!
    In wacky weather news, we're almost at air conditioner need today, whereas it's supposed to go down to 40 by Monday. People always say, "If you don't like the weather in _________, wait a minute," but I think Columbia is living up to it this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment