Monday, November 16, 2015

How bad CAN it be?

    Half-assing my way through life and cooking, I'm surprised again and again how often I accidentally produce something that I would be willing to pay a lot of money for in a restaurant. It must be obvious by now that my philosophy of cooking is to use good ingredients and then just say, "How bad CAN it be?" Today is pie night at the celiacs group. While it's an open question whether anyone will show up, the very suggestion of pie night made me want to make some kind of pecan pie. This is pretty tricky for a guy who is celiac and doesn't eat GMO corn products. But I found a recipe.
    The thing about the recipe is that it was written by someone who must be a billionairess. Either that or we're having a desperate worldwide cashew shortage. Because she called for a jar of cashew butter, which turns out to be $20! Thus I substituted peanut butter. Sue me. Also I couldn't find almond flour and had no confidence that my equipment would turn almonds into flour like she suggested. I found peanut flour on sale and got that instead. (Also past the best by date, so if anyone has any peanut flour recipes, I'd LOVE to hear them.) So it's a darn peanutty pecan pie. I haven't tried it yet. But how bad can it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment