Sunday, November 8, 2015

The battle against bro' country

    I don't know if I ever blogged about it but I've definitely mentioned it in real life and on Facebook: about a year ago, Goodwill went nuts and started playing some of the best music ever, all the time. Like a really, really reliable oldies station, playing nearly all '60s and '70s R&B. I found myself hanging out in Goodwill on purpose to listen to the music.
    Fast forward to now and they've lost their minds in the other direction. Only one store plays R&B anymore; mostly their playing other oldies, but less old and less good. A couple of stores, however, are playing new stuff. Awful, awful, awful new stuff. Mostly something called bro' country. One song was so bad we had to look it up, and there we learned of bro' country and the wonders of Georgia Florida Line. (I'm not upset if I got that backwards.) Worst thing is that this had been the best store until they started playing horrifyingly bad music. I found myself dreading going there.
    (Subtext is: does this mean that they're trying to run off black customers? I really have no idea. It's a very uncomfortable idea and I hope they're just being dumb in the sense of choosing bad music, not suicidally dumb in the sense of choosing bad music with an agenda. Eventually, I'm going to ask if there's any way to go back to the good music.)
    Today, though, I cut the gordian knot most readily; I brought my iPod. Play a crappy song; I drown it out! I told Paul to wave his hand in front of my eyes if he needed my attention. It did make the visit much much more pleasant. Hey look at me! All problem solvy!

No comments:

Post a Comment