Thursday, October 17, 2013

Comedy gold

    OK, now and again, here and there I may whine and moan a bit about the advertising on radio. I've been paying attention to my own responses, and to be honest what I object to is advertising per se. Or rather, being forced to listen to something that I don't want to. By and large, any kind of voice annoys me more when used in an ad. Any approach to humor gets on my nerves more if used in an ad.
    That said, the ultra-macho pissed-off guy approach to trying to sell pickup trucks has a special place on my pet peeve list. Moreover, I just can't imagine who they're reaching with this strategy. "Oh hell yeah! I'm mad at Ford and Chevy, too! Lemme go get me a new Ram truck!" I'm just not seeing it.
    However, one delightful aspect of these ads is when they get to the end and the POed actor has to read all the legal warnings very, very, very fast-- and still in character. ALMOST makes up for how annoying this and all other radio ads are. Almost.
    While I'm blithering yet again about the radio, something else weird that delights me: CBS has restarted their sports radio network. When they play their jingle, every time I hear "C-B-YES!" I'm not sure that it's really intentional, but for some unfathomable reason I get a kick out of it every time. Googling indicates that many, many local stations have used this as a slogan over the years; I didn't see any indication that the national network had done so. But then, they may have selected the name in the first place because it naturally creates that sound. Hey, it's possible!

2 comments:

  1. You have obviously never been a pick up truck owner...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of pickups: http://mentalfloss.com/article/53216/mental-floss-exclusive-our-interview-bill-watterson

      Delete