Friday, October 4, 2013

Sudden gust of common sense

    So yesterday I was feeling quite a bit under the weather, very very very tired and somewhat weak. Then by the end of the day, I had a sudden attack of chills and was then feverish all night. There were a couple of what I took to be insect bites on my leg that had been there for some days; I did notice this morning that one of them was really really hot to the touch. Like it was seriously infected.
    I went to CVS because they have something called a Minute Clinic, but they were on lunch break. I bought some Neosporin instead and came home and called my own (though they haven't seen me in years) health clinic. The nurse called back and said that at that late point they wouldn't be able to see me but strongly recommended I go to a doc in the box. I kept mentioning the Minute Clinic and she kept mentioning Urgent Care. I took this as a strong hint that I should go to Urgent Care, or at least not to Minute Clinic.
    The staff at Urgent Care were quite impressed with my abscess. (Really, it's just a little boil; it sounds so much more frightening when you call it an abscess.) They gave me an antibiotic shot, oral antibiotics and a recommendation that I take Tylenol for the fever and apply warm compresses every four hours. I also have to come back for another shot Sunday.
    Now! The probability is that it would have all cleared up by itself. However, the infection was clearly spreading (duh, hence the fever) so I'm definitely glad that I went. Except for the two shots in the butt part. But I'll live.

No comments:

Post a Comment