Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tie a string

    Maybe it's just me. Every time the car starts running out of gas, I feel a slight uptick in nervousness, or tension maybe. The odd thing is that after I fill the tank, it's a couple of days until the feeling subsides. I've tied an invisible string around my finger to remind me to get gas, and it takes a little while for it to untie itself.
    I'm trying to figure out if this is an evolution artifact. Did ancient man think, "Gotta knap me some flint!" and when the flint is knapped, did he still feel a left over imperative towards flint knapping? I guess there aren't many precisely analogous situations. Getting gas is so easy; failing to do so in time has such serious (or anyway annoying) results. I guess it's worth tying a particularly strong knot in the mental handkerchief. But it's very peculiar getting into the car the day after getting gas, knowing (and seeing) that you have a full tank, and still having a particularly strong urge to go get gas. Hopefully, it IS just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment