Sunday, October 13, 2013

I didn't mean to sabotage the antibiotics!

    I'm posting early before T-Mobile goes away again. When I went to Urgent Care for my leg, I had the option of getting the antibiotics from them or just getting a prescription and going to an actual pharmacist. Common sense said to do the latter; expediency and politesse, the former. I went with expediency with a dash of politesse.
    The girls behind the counter were attractive, but I'm not sure I'm being belittling saying "girls." I mean they may have been in high school. They were quite nice, but I'm no sure either how on the ball they were. Anyway, I asked if I should take the antibiotic with food or not and they didn't know. One said that antibiotics could make you nauseous so she thought it would be better with food, so I took that advice. They also only had a 14-pill bottle, whereas the prescription was for 20, so they got the doc-in-a-box to change it. As I mentioned, when I returned after 48 hours for the checkup, the supervised doc-in-a-box wrote me a prescription for the other 6 pills. This time I went to a pharmacist and got the actual dispensing information, which was that I was supposed to take the pills on an empty stomach. Failure to do so might lessen the effectiveness of the antibiotics.
    However, they did say that if the pills made you nauseous, you could take them with food. Considering how nauseous they made me when I did do so, I can just imagine what they would have done on an empty stomach! Also, all's well that ends well; my leg got better on weakened antibiotics anyway. So no harm, no foul. But for future reference, it's probably better to get your medications from an actual pharmacist rather than the doc-in-a-box.

No comments:

Post a Comment