Friday, October 11, 2013

Turkey leg

    I went to the State Fair a couple blocks stroll away to take advantage of their lunch deal. You pay $5 after noon and so long as you're out by 2 you get your money back. Of course, the only fair food that I can eat (maybe) is the smoked turkey leg. As these are $10 each (seriously!), it's maybe not that much of a deal. And the lemonade is $6; even bottled water is $3. I think they've gone up a bit since my childhood.
    The last time I had a smoked turkey leg at the Fair was before I went gluten-free, but I think the added anxiety about the possibility of gluten is not what made it less good. The extra cost is a factor of course (Ten bucks?! Really?!) but mainly I just got a not very great turkey leg. It was overcooked on the outside; better inside, but maybe a bit undercooked there. Also because they're so very large, it's hard to handle a leg and a drink, so I went too long without buying my expensive lemonade. All that grease and nothing to drink was not a good combination either. And the weather got warm again, which made me overheated pretty quickly.
    However, it was pretty good, it was a crazy gorgeous day, the student art was unusually good (the kindergarteners have finally surpassed not just what I could do in kindergarten but what I can do now) the Eau Claire High steel drum band was excellent and the crowd was impressive without being crushing. Also the kids' rides looked to be a lot more fun than when I was a kid, so yay for them. Still days of fair to go (to capitalize or not to capitalize) so I may return. It's crazy fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment