Friday, October 25, 2013

Sour grapes

    I visited the State Fair three times and never rode any rides. Obviously, if you're feeling sour grapes, the last thing you're going to admit is that you're feeling sour grapes. By definition, what you're going to say is that those grapes were sour anyway. But I have more than a suspicion that they really were sour, at least a bit.
    News reports suggest that they might be a little worse than sour. A bunch of people were injured yesterday or the day before at the NC State Fair on a ride called the Vortex, which started up again when they were trying to leave it. (De-ride?)
    So yeah, rides built and operated by carnies have a certain level of safety issues, but the selection of thrill rides is also a little odd. Mostly, they take your really really high and spin you around. I'm not the world's biggest fan of either heights or dizziness. For some reason, I have next to no problem with being on the side of a cliff one or two thousand feet in the air with no safety equipment, so long as my feet are in contact with the actual ground. Put me in a harness and throw me a hundred feet in the air and I'm much more alarmed.
    I like roller coaster kind of rides; this fair only had one, and it was decidedly mickey mouse. (I think it did have mouse in the name. Google says Crazy Mouse.) Seven years ago, a child was thrown from a roller coaster at our State Fair (then the Mad Mouse), which may be why the coaster is so mild these days.
    The only other thing I would have liked to ride was the log flume, but those are ever so much more fun in the summer when getting splashed with water is delightfully cooling. Seems like a trip to Carowinds is in order! For all that they have a lot of throw-you-around new roller coasters, they still have the old ones, and the old log flume, and the lines are a lot shorter. I'll plan on going next summer, and save my sour grapes for the ones with long lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment