Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Cocoa butter macaroons

    This subject line has been in the on-deck circle for just ages, but the only store that sells cocoa butter has been sold out, also for ages. I finally mentioned it to somebody there and magically, there was the cocoa butter again! (They bag it and label it themselves.) It's in the health and beauty section, but I am assured that it's food grade.
    So, I blogged earlier about trying to make oatmealish cookies with quinoa flakes instead of oatmeal and buckwheat flour instead of wheat flour. I was very taken with the result at first, but less so as time went by. The quinoa (which has virtually no flavor in its non-flake form) just tasted too corny. Or maybe I should say too corny in a bad way, meaning kind of bitter. I had already substituted coconut for some of the quinoa flakes; next I substituted coconut for all of the quinoa flakes. That went well. This time I'm trying again, only using cocoa butter instead of sunflower seed oil. The dough texture was more pancaky (my day for making adjectives with Ys; it's all adjectivy!) than cookie-like, but I am hopeful. If it turns out brilliantly, a recipe may be posted. If a recipe is not posted, you can assume it did not turn out brilliantly. But I shall persevere! No, seriously, I'm sure that cocoa butter macaroons would be really great; just not sure that I'm on the right track with this particular approach. At least I finally got rid of the subject line!
    Continuing on the food theme, the lentil hoecakes really went stinky after a few days. Putting in an entire Vidalia onion was probably a good idea; thinking that I could leave them out on the counter for days probably wasn't. Next time, they live in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment