Sunday, October 27, 2013

I can dance

    Long long ago, there was a radio station in Los Angeles called KROQ. (I probably won't mention the call letters again, because my brain helpfully keeps suggesting the letters QSKY instead, due to a movie called "FM." But that's another story.) At that time, around 1980, disco was supreme and it was suggested in some quarters that rock music was dead. This LA station programmed all rock n roll and was wildly successful. This success would lead shortly to MTV, which also reigned supreme for a while, but more significantly it led to the biggest thing to hit radio since payola: I'll call it playlist subscriptions.
    First, the LA station sold its playlists to other rock stations across the country. I wasn't in the business and don't know how this worked physically. But even before the Internet, we had typewriters and the US Mail, not to mention teletypes. Judging by what the listener heard, the stations weren't playing literally the same playlists, but rather selections from the same playlists. As the '80s wore on, the same thing happened with other formats, and Adult Contemporary and Classic Rock were born.
    The point of all this blithering is that the other day, my friend Mary in Philadelphia posted on Facebook that she had tuned into an oldies station and heard "I Can Dance" by Leo Sayer (which is actually called "Long Tall Glasses," but SHOULD be called "I Can Dance"). Then a couple of days later, listening to an oldies station here, I heard it, too. It reminded me of my travelin' days, when I would range up and down the Eastern seaboard and hear roughly the same songs on every station, even if all those songs were 10 or 20 years removed from their days on the Hot 100. It always amused me, but it is a little weird. And it outlasted MTV's days of dominance by... oh, a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment