Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Ounces

    For the record, ounces are a measure of both weight and volume. Often this doesn't make a difference. ("A pint's a pound the world around.") Sometimes it does. What brings it up is one of the latter cases.
    I like cooking with cocoa butter. I have to buy it from the health and beauty section of a local natural foods store. It comes in chunks, sold by the fraction of a pound for astonishing amounts of money. I bought .13 of a pound, or 2 oz., for almost $7. As it turns out, two ounces of cocoa butter weight becomes about six ounces of fluid volume when it's melted. My mini-muffins are going to be very, very interesting. Hopefully interesting in a good way. They sure smell cocoa butter heavy, though!
    Anyway, I appreciate that this has very little applicability in most people's lives, but this IS the Internet; somebody out there might be trying to cook with cocoa butter and might need the information. I live to serve. Also, I always think it's really funny when I do something conspicuously stupid!

No comments:

Post a Comment