Monday, December 28, 2015

DJI Phantom: shortcomings

    To be fair, I should also share the less good things about the DJI Phantom I reviewed so enthusiastically the other day. (It's a camera quadcopter, in case I didn't make that clear.) There still isn't much wrong with the toy itself, or anyway not as far as I can tell. But a shortcoming is that you can't fly it in the rain, which is why I don't know any more about its flying characteristics. Also, without upgrading the firmware, I can't fly it under 60 degrees. This hasn't been a problem so far, but it really IS winter; someday soon it will be below 60. (Hopefully, the firmware update will tell me what the new cutoff is.)
    The main problem with Toy is that you have to use the DJI Go app to do anything with it, and the DJI Go app is really disinclined to be turned off. It eats battery and heats up the phone something pretty dramatic. I went into Battery under settings on the phone and forced it closed and it's behaved ever since. But I'd rather not do that every time. And battery still is draining pretty fast compared to before I installed it. I was also not best pleased that I had to register to use the app at all. So now all I need is a toy EXACTLY like DJI Phantom 3 Standard only one that will operate without an app. I'm sure there are DOZENS out there. (Yes, I know; sarcasm doesn't work in print. Ah well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment