Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Epic waste of time

    I will try to be brief. I'm still playing Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword maniacally or addictedly or both. This even though the one-handedness of playing is destroying my left shoulder. But it's usually fun, at least until you get into involved end-games that you can't, well, end.
    The epic I just finished was majestic, though. You start out with seven civilizations. At the very start of this game, or nearly so, there was a barbarian uprising and the Romans and Koreans were eliminated. However, their cities weren't wiped out but taken by the barbarians. So I went and got them. So I'm instantly much bigger than anybody else and I just grew and grew.
    Unfortunately, while the game has ways for you to win quickly when you're huge, they don't work when you're extra huge; you have to work your way up to mega huge for another method. In other words, diplomatic victory isn't available if you're big enough to swing the election yourself. The only thing available is a domination victory requiring you to get about 2/3 of the world's land surface, which is hard to do for a committed pacifist.
    So the game was endless. I eventually got my rocket ship to Alpha Centauri, the old standby Civilization victory condition. And it was only 1927, which was cool. The game wasn't impressed. Although I rated Augustus Caesar (the best), it was a pretty low adjusted score. My unadjusted score however was far and away the best ever. So I was impressed at least!
    Hey, don't complain; I could have blogged about my peeing dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment